Join the Staff
Interested in Joining the LiveWire staff?
We are currently filling LiveWire staff positions for the 2016-2017 academic year. We will be accepting applications from now until June 1, 2016. However, our goal is to have staff positions filled as soon as possible. Students selected to join the LiveWire staff can opt to receive 2 total units of independent study credit for both the fall and spring semesters of the 2016-2017 academic year.
Why would I want to join?
Our staff is limited to 15 members, each with specialized roles in the production of the journal. Our goal is to give our staff members authentic publishing “internships” to provide them with real-world experience in editing, graphic design, and marketing. Our goal is to make being a member of the LiveWire staff something to highlight on your resume, an experience to write about in your applications to universities, and a launching pad into a career in publishing or other fields. At the bottom of this page, you can read what staff members say about the benefits of being on staff!
What are the requirements?
- To join the LiveWire staff, you must be a Fullerton College student.
- To join the Editing Team, you need to have completed English 100 and have a G.P.A. in English of 3.0 or higher. Having completed a Creative Writing class, being an English major, and having experience as a tutor in the Writing Center are all assets.
- To join the Graphics Team, you need to have completed coursework in Art, Graphic Design, or Computer Science. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Word Press are assets.
- To join the Marketing Team, it is recommended that you have completed coursework in Business or a related field. Knowledge about publicizing events and an ability to network with diverse groups is an asset.
What positions are available?
- Editor-in-Chief (1)—will be responsible for content in both Fall and Spring publications; will lead the editing team in selecting, revising and preparing pieces for the issue; will work closely with Faculty Advisors
- Marketing Team Lead (1)—will lead the Marketing Team in developing a marketing plan to increase submissions and attendance to events; will work closely with Faculty Advisors as well as groups on campus, including the Printing Department
- Editing Team (3-5)—will be involved in reading, evaluating, and selecting the writing to be published, as well as working with writers to prepare pieces for publication; will be involved in selecting artists for collaboration
- Marketing Team (3-5)—will help develop and implement the marketing plan to increase submissions and attendance to events
- Graphics Team (2)–will design and edit graphics for publicity; will design and maintain the LiveWire website
I’m still interested! How do I join the LiveWire staff?
If you are interested in joining our staff, please email a letter of introduction along with the name of one faculty reference to LiveWire Faculty Advisor, Ryan Shiroma: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your letter of introduction should include all of the following:
- your name
- your FC Banner ID
- your preferred email address and phone number
- the staff position in which you are interested (see positions described above)
- a brief statement of your qualifications to hold that staff position
- how you believe you could contribute to the LiveWire staff
- contact information from a faculty member who has agreed to serve as a professional reference