Join the Staff
Interested in Joining the LiveWire staff?
We are currently filling LiveWire staff positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. We will be accepting applications from now until June 30, 2017. However, our goal is to have staff positions filled as soon as possible. Students selected to join the LiveWire staff can opt to receive 2 total units of independent study credit for both the fall and spring semesters of the 2017-2018 academic year.
Why would I want to join?
Our goal is to give our staff members authentic publishing “internships” to provide them with real-world experience in editing, graphic design, and marketing. Each staff member will receive a specialized role based on her/his interests and skills. Being a member of the LiveWire staff is something to highlight on your resume, an experience to write about in your applications to universities, and a launching pad into a career in publishing or other fields.
What are the expectations?
All staff members attend mandatory weekly meetings (on Thursdays, from 3-5 p.m. in the fall). They read and evaluate submissions. They help plan, set up, and host two Open Mic events per academic year. They collaborate with Faculty Advisors and other staff members, as well as community members and other Fullerton College Faculty and Staff. Lastly, they assist with clerical duties as needed.
What are the requirements?
- To join the LiveWire staff, you must be a Fullerton College student.
- To join the Editing Team, you need to have completed English 100 and have a G.P.A. in English of 3.0 or higher. Having completed a Creative Writing class, being an English major, and having experience as a tutor in the Writing Center are all assets.
- To join the Graphics Team, you need to have completed coursework in Art, Graphic Design, or Computer Science. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Word Press are assets.
- To join the Marketing Team, it is recommended that you have completed coursework in Business or a related field. Knowledge about publicizing events and an ability to network with diverse groups is an asset.
What positions are available?
- Web Designer
- Poetry Editor
- Prose Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Music/Art Coordinator
- Marketing Director
- Assistant Poetry Editor
- Assistant Prose Editor
- Marketing/Open Mic Staff
- Graphic Design Staff
I’m still interested! How do I join the LiveWire staff?
If you are interested in joining our staff, please email a letter of introduction along with the name of one faculty reference to LiveWire Lead Faculty Advisor, Ryan Shiroma: email@example.com
Your letter of introduction should include all of the following:
- your name
- your FC Banner ID and GPA
- your preferred email address and phone number
- the staff positions you find most desirable (see positions above)
- a brief statement of your qualifications to hold that staff position
- how you believe you could contribute to the LiveWire staff
- contact information from a faculty member who has agreed to serve as a professional reference