Thank you for your interest in submitting your creative work to LiveWire! Before submitting, please review the About Us section and our previously published issues in the Archives section.
To submit work, please include the following information in the body of your email message:
- Your full name
- Preferred email address and preferred contact phone number
- Title of your submission
- Genre of your submission (spoken word, poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, or music)
- Number of words in your submission
- A brief bio of yourself which includes any relevant information about your identity and background (maximum 150 words) for use if your work is selected for publication
To submit multiple pieces: Please send a separate email for each individual submission of fiction, creative nonfiction, spoken word or music. You may submit up to 3 poems for consideration in a single email; please send all poems as a separate attachment. List the titles of each poem in the body and subject of your email.
Poetry, Fiction, Creative Nonfiction:
Send your work as an email attachment to email@example.com. Creative writing should be sent as .doc or .docx files.
- Prose: You may send a short fiction or creative non-fiction piece of no more than 4,500 words, or a critical essay submission of a maximum of 2,000 words. Please submit all writing in 12 pt. Times New Roman with 1-inch margins on all four sides. Prose should be double-spaced.
- Poetry: Submissions should be single-spaced or formatted as required for the poem.
For the subject of the email, please include the title of your piece in quotes and the genre (Example: “Title” Poetry).
Send your work as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org as a .png file. For the subject of the email, please include the genre and medium. In the body of the email please include the title of your submission and creation date, as well as a 150 word artist bio.
What Is the Criteria Used for Selection for Writing?
At LiveWire, we consider work for publication based on four main criteria:
- Relevance to the Fullerton College community (i.e. our primary audience).
In addition, we are committed to including more than 50% student writing in each issue. We intend to publish between 8-10 texts (prose, poetry, and critical essays) in our upcoming issue, so inclusion in the journal is highly selective, and only the best work will be published. Writers and artists who wish to have their work considered for publication should take care to submit only polished, finished work.
We ask that we have exclusive rights to use your image online for one year and always be able to display your image (in our archives, future publications, and so forth).